Re: bash 5.1-rc1: how to disable highlight upon paste?

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: bash 5.1-rc1: how to disable highlight upon paste?
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 16:25:52 -0400

On 10/26/20 2:23 PM, Corey Hickey wrote:
> On 2020-10-26 06:39, Chet Ramey wrote:
>> On 10/21/20 10:39 PM, Corey Hickey wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just installed bash 5.1-rc1, and I noticed that text pasted onto the
>>> command line is now highlighted (until another key is pressed).
>>
>> This is tied to bracketed paste, and you can disable it by disabling
>> bracketed paste.
>
> Ok. I didn't really want to disable bracketed paste, since it looks like it
> can protect me from the occasional times I accidentally paste random
> multi-line text into the terminal. :)

I understand. The reason the active region/faces code came in (it was
donated) was to highlight pasted text. There isn't a user-visible way to
differentiate between the two yet, and I want to get a little operational
experience with the feature before deciding how or whether to split them
and where else the active region capability might be useful.

> Now that I think about it, the part I didn't like the most might be
> considered a bug: hitting CTRL-C does not clear the highlighting. For example:
> 1. Paste text into terminal; observe highlighting.
> 2. Hit CTRL-C; note that highlighting remains.
> 3. Type something else; note that highlighting still remains.

That's a separate thing, already fixed.

Chet

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/