Re: Handling getopt for option without optional argument value

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: Handling getopt for option without optional argument value
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 13:08:03 -0400

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 07:00:01PM +0200, lisa-asket@perso.be wrote:
> An maintainer of bash, I want to suggest an improvement to the capability of
> bash built-in
>
> getopt

I won't speak for Chet, and I won't read the rest of what you wrote
here, but you've made a huge error.

getopt is NOT a shell builtin.  It's an external command.

getopts (with the 's') is a shell builtin, standardized by POSIX, and
implemented as part of bash in adherence with that standard.

If you'd like to propose an extension to bash's implementation of getopts
which supports --long-options in some kind of backward compatible manner,
go ahead.  If you can design how it should work, without breaking existing
scripts, and if you're willing to write a patch to implement it, it's
possible that Chet might consider accepting it.