Re: readline questions

From: Jesse Hathaway
Subject: Re: readline questions
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 11:13:52 -0500

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 1:22 AM Christoph Anton Mitterer
<calestyo@scientia.net> wrote:
> That works for going into forward/reverse search mode, but I can only
> find the first result.
> If I press another PageUp/Down, as I'd have pressed another Ctrl-R/S to
> move on, nothing happens.

from the readline manual:

       To  find other matching entries in the history list, type C-s or C-r as
       appropriate.  This will search backward or forward in the  history  for
       the  next  line matching the search string typed so far.  Any other key
       sequence bound to a readline command will terminate the search and exe‐
       cute  that  command.  For instance, a newline will terminate the search
       and accept the line, thereby executing the  command  from  the  history
       list.  A movement command will terminate the search, make the last line
       found the current line, and begin editing.

It appears that C-s and C-r are the only keybindings that are accepted in
an incremental search, i.e. they are not configurable.