readline questions

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Subject: readline questions
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 01:29:33 +0200

Hey.

Perhaps someone can help out with these:

1) Since most terminals catch ^S for XOFF, and I didn't want to change
or rebind that,... I tried to rebind the keys for:
reverse-search-history
forward-search-history

PageUp/PageDown seem unused in the shell.

So I did something like the followin in ~/.inputrc:
$if Bash
"\e[5~": forward-search-history
"\e[6~": reverse-search-history
$endif

That works for going into forward/reverse search mode, but I can only
find the first result.
If I press another PageUp/Down, as I'd have pressed another Ctrl-R/S to
move on, nothing happens.

btw: Is there any preferred way: bind command or ~/.inputrc?

2) I wanted to change the colour used by colored-completion-prefix or
maybe just have it use dim colours so that it works more nicely with
colored-stats.

Now I found out that colored-completion-prefix uses the so colour of
LS_COLORS, but ideally I wouldn't want to change the colour sockets.

When I change the LS_COLORS at runtime, it doesn't seem to be picked up
anymore. Only when it's already exported from where I start the shell.

Any ideas how to do that?

Thanks,
Chris.