Re: is gcc YACC based?

From: Axel Kittenberger
Subject: Re: is gcc YACC based?
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:36:45 +0200

On Friday 12 October 2001 21:44, Luigi Suardi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for grammar skeletons that I can use
> with FLEX/BISON to generate parsers for C, C++, Java and more.
> I am wondering if GCC tools are YACC based and
> if the grammars are available.

Yes gcc does use the bison parser generator, look at
http://gcc.gnu.org and simply download the complete gcc source, you'll find
in example the gcc bison file for C language in the file gcc/gcc/c-parse.y

However gcc does not use the flex scanner generator They use their own
tokenizer/preprocessor.

So bison yes, flex no.

- Axel