Re: is gcc YACC based?

From: David Durham
Subject: Re: is gcc YACC based?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:19:45 -0500

   Well gcc I know until recently has been bison based... The lexer
however is hand written. There was some talk about them paying a company
to hand write a parser for the grammer.  This is because C++ is very
hard to parse with a LALR(1), but it can be done--they did it (mostly).

The source is certainly available.  I've looked at the bison source and
it's hard to follow at first.  Note, when you're browsing the source,
cpp may mean c-pre-processor, not necessarily C++...