language neutral parser

From: Pinku Surana
Subject: language neutral parser
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:08:57 -0500

How about this: bison could process a grammar and generate an XML file
containing all relevant info for a parser: parser states, arbitrary actions
(in CDATA fields), etc. Then any other language implementation can process
the XML file and spit out a parser in their language. They would have to
write their own parser interpreter, of course, but that is fairly easy. For
many languages, it might simply take an XSL transform to turn the XML file
into code for their language. Whaddya' think? I've got a Scheme compiler and
this would make things very easy for me.

I'm not on the mailing list, so please cc your replies, opinions, tirades to
me. Thanks,

Pinku Surana