Re: language neutral parser

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: language neutral parser
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:19:45 +0200

At 13:16 +0200 2001/10/22, Akim Demaille wrote:
>Unfortunately Bison belongs more or less to the past.  Modern parsing
>is almost systematically based on LL, people leave LR because of all
>its problems.  And I don't think Bison should come with LL solutions.
>But maybe someday it will, if 2.0 is modular enough.

What problems of LR(1) are you thinking of? -- LL(1) is more special than
LR(1), and Robert Corbett seemed to think that the latter to be too special
as well (if one should start to parse English, these methods must be
generalized quite a bit). LL(1) may be somewhat faster and produce somewhat
smaller tables than LR(1) versions with reduced tables, but the difference
appears to not be that big, and with modern fast computers having a lot of
memory, the difference seems to not motivate LL(1) over LR(1).

So is this LL thing just not a fad?