Re: Appropriate

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Appropriate
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:20:34 +0100

At 12:24 -0600 2002/03/19, EXT-Pennington, Dale K wrote:
>Disclaimer first, I have barely perused the Bison manual, and am trying to
>determine if Bison (or something similar) is right for my needs. So if I
>sound a little naive or silly, please bear with me.
>
>The situation I am dealing with a complex set of network messages, with alot
>of optional components, and validation rules. In this case the input would
>be a binary string. A given token would be n binary digits, with n varying
>depending on what token I was expecting.

It sounds like a question for the Usenet newsgroup comp.compilers. I recall
an article there saying that parsing PDF (binary!) was not a good topic for
Bison/Flex. Bison though only parses the tokens handed to it, not the
stream itself, so if data is well structured, it might work.

I suggest you post an article to comp.compilers, giving some more context
information about what you are doing.