Re: bison 1.875 vs. C++

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: Re: bison 1.875 vs. C++
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:00:34 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, John Gatewood Ham wrote:

> Well, on the web page http://www.gnu.org/software/bison/bison.html#mailing
> it said this:  "To contact Bison community for help or general
> discussions, use help-bison AT gnu.org"  I am surprised to learn the
> developers of bison are not part of the bison community, but it would
> go a long way towards explaining how the current situation has come about.

That's not what I meant.  Nor do I speak for the Bison maintainers and
developers.
However, I know from my own experience that handling email is a fairly
time-consuming activity, so I think it's understandable that the
maintainers and developers concentrate on bug-bison, since there are a
number of users who can answer most questions.

> It appears you are requesting a patch.  I can do that this weekend.
>

> Do I post the patch here or on the bison-patches AT gnu.org mailing list?

I'm not requesting anything.  I rarely use OpenOffice, and never
in combination with Bison.  However, generally speaking, contributions
to GNU packages are very welcome.  There are matters of copyright that
have to be settled first, though.  I don't know how the Bison maintainers
handle this, so if you'd like to contribute a patch, please contact
them.

Laurence