Re: warning: rule never reduced because of conflicts: @3: /* empty */

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: warning: rule never reduced because of conflicts: @3: /* empty */
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 13:22:05 +0200

At 12:44 +0200 2005/05/01, Eduardo Robles Elvira wrote:
I've added some mid-rule actions, and I get a message like this one:

$ bison --verbose -d lea.y
lea.y: conflicts: 4 shift/reduce, 3 reduce/reduce
lea.y:293.17-40: warning: rule never reduced because of conflicts: @3: /*
empty */
lea.y:317.17-40: warning: rule never reduced because of conflicts: @4: /*
empty */
lea.y:337.9-31: warning: rule never reduced because of conflicts: @5: /* empty
*/

If if you want an explanation of what that means, it means exactly what it says, namely, you have entered a grammar which is such that no parser input can cause those rules to be reduced. Normally that is an error in the grammar design. If you enter a mid-rule action, Bison will implement that by introducing an anonymous, empty rule, which thus is prone at generating conflicts, if not used cautiously.