Re: doubts with shift-reduce and nonterminals

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: doubts with shift-reduce and nonterminals
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:15:37 +0100

On 24 Jan 2006, at 21:42, Mili Sandokan wrote:

So, it isnĀ“t that terrible to have a few shift reduce warnings in the
code, considering that my automata has 600+ states, am I right? I
mean.... the code should work anyway...   :  )

Bison has defaults that enables it to always generate a parser: shift over reduce, and in reduce/reduce conflicts, using the first rule listed in the '.y' grammar. Some use %expect to suppress warnings. Whether this terrible or not, depends on if it generates the right parsing or not. If you positively do not know that the Bison defaults are the right thing, do not use it. The use of precedence rules is certainly more explicit.