Re: 2.1 C++ documentation

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: 2.1 C++ documentation
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:20:44 +0200

Bugs should normally be reported in the Bug-Bison list (as the developers may not read the Help list too carefully).

On 28 Apr 2006, at 15:32, Steve Murphy wrote:

Hello--

A nit about the Bison manual for 2.1:

First, in section 10.1.1 of the bison info manual, it
says that if you use the lalr1.cc skeleton, you'll get a list of files.

This isn't totally correct. It doesn't mention that you have to
call your grammar "something.yy" to get the list of files mentioned.

If you should be so careless, as to name your grammar "something.y",
you will get

something.tab.c instead of something.cc

and if you specify -vd, you'll get

something.tab.h instead of something.hh.

Not only this, without -vd, (I guess just the -d part), you'll
NOT get any .h file.

And, the .tab.c file will automatically include the .tab.h file if - d is set; otherwise, if no -d option is set, no inclusion of the .tab.h file
(which is good).

So, I think you ought to mention the importance of naming the input
properly, as the difference between what happens with a file name of
something.yy and a file name of something.y is pretty big!!

And, if you name your grammar input file with .yy, then you'll get a
gedcom55.tab.hh whether you specify a -d or not.

Now, I noted after my first try, that things were not going as planned, so I referred back to the info manual, and spotted the fact that .yy was used in the example (calc++), so I changed the name of the grammar input
file, and voila, things work as advertised.

Some of this great detail might be mentioned elsewhere in the info
manual, but the relevant details being repeated (or at least referenced)
in this section would have been helpful.

murf