Building bison 2.1 on Windows

From: oconnor . maryann
Subject: Building bison 2.1 on Windows
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:50:53 +0000

Hi,

I'm attempting to build bison 2.1 on Windows with both mks and cygwin.  I've
gotten a little ways with mks and am just starting with cygwin.  Several
questions:

First question - Since there is no Makefile.nt or Visual Studio files in the
tarball, I'll assume that I should be proceeding running configure, et cetera,
just as if I was on a real Unix system.  True?  I know that the gzip package
includes an NT makefile, but I do not see anything similar in bison's package.

I've unpacked bison-2.1.tar.gz and have attempted to run ./bison-2.1/configure.
 I'm running into problems with finding what is needed to build (the compiler,
et cetera).  I'm going to muck about more with my makefiles.  I already had to
specify a different configure cache file since /dev/null is not real on Windows
as it is on Unix.  Am I proceeding in the correct direction?

If anyone has insight about building bison 2.1 on Windows, I'd appreciate your
input.  Or if I'm missing some webpages where this insight already exists
(googling hasn't found me exactly what I am looking for), please send pointers.

Many thanks,
Mary Ann