Interesting problem with bison on Windows

From: oconnor . maryann
Subject: Interesting problem with bison on Windows
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:42:52 +0000

I am running into an interesting problem on Windows with Bison 2.1.  My grammar
defines the word IN as a token.  When I build on Windows, there is a file which
includes the generated gram.h after including Microsoft's header WinDef.h.  I'm
using Visual Studio .NET 2003.  Unfortunately, that header defines "IN":

#define IN

So, when compiling, the inclusion of gram.h gets an error due to the enum
yytokentype which ends up getting the line for IN messed up during
preprocessing:

 = 250,
INTEGER = 251,

I can undefine "IN" before the inclusion of gram.h which works, but is a bit
hacky.  I tried defining YYTOKENTYPE in the compile line (the enum is
conditionalized with YYTOKENTYPE), but I got a link error when doing so.  Any
idea why defining YYTOKENTYPE in the compile line causes this problem?  It sure
looks like it's there for this reason.

Many thanks,
Mary Ann