Re: Building a project derived fro GNU Bison

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Building a project derived fro GNU Bison
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:18:35 +0100

Le 11 mars 09 à 12:08, Tommy Nordgren a écrit :

Hi Tommy,

I'm trying to derive a project from GNU Bison.
I've edited the automake files, renaming the target to 'drone'
(a Swedish-English pun on bison).
However, after regenerating the build system, configuring and doing make,
I get a problem in the make file for the documentation.
It tries to make a target 'dron' in the source directory.
I've checked all Makefile.am all uses the name 'drone' where relevant,
so it seems like the final e gets dropped somewhere in the build process.
Any idea what is going on?

Without any log nor any indication of what you changed, no. The documentation relies on tests/bison to get the list of options, and also to generate the man page.

By the way, I'm trying to derive my own project from bison, because I
want to modify the input language in a backwards-incompatible way,

Can you tell us more about it?

and substitute the current output-generation code with more general one.
I intend to write a programmable backend that can be programmed in
Python, Ruby, and Java.

What kind of backend do you have in mind?

Changes that are general enough and bring significant improvements to Bison are most welcome, forking projects is not always the best way.