Re: The GPL "Special Exception" and yacc.c

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: The GPL "Special Exception" and yacc.c
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:32:06 +0100

On 14 Mar 2009, at 15:24, Akim Demaille wrote:

I am not sure about this. As a matter of fact, of the three maintainers, the one who was really "in charge" of legal matters no longer spends time on Bison. I'm tempted to say that, no, you can't do that, because I believe this is not the spirit in which we made Bison. The point is to avoid people share their improvements, but keep their products. So the exception really means: "if you change the skeleton, the changes must be GPL'd, with or without the exception clause, at your option."

Well, the question seems to not whether the full, modified, skeleton file can be redistributed, but whether output code that already can be redistributed can be combined with other copyrighted material.

  Hans