Re: The GPL "Special Exception" and yacc.c

From: David Wootelhoff
Subject: Re: The GPL "Special Exception" and yacc.c
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:09:49 +0000

On 3/17/09, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:
> We need to know whether this package of yours is a parser generator
> (in which case there is a very specific clause in the license).  And
> I'm curious about the nature of the changes you'd do in the skeleton
> (but answering this question is not important).

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies.

The program I'm writing is just a compiler - it's not a parser generator.

An example of the sort of change I had in mind was perhaps changing
how memory is allocated, in a way which may not be possible by just
overriding YYMALLOC etc. A small edit to yacc.c would enable me to do
this. This would be greatly preferable to performing post-processing
on the Bison generated code.

 (Please note that memory management is just a hypothetical example.)

Regards

David