Re: Growing stacks in C++

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Growing stacks in C++
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 20:23:18 +0200

On 23 Jul 2010, at 18:02, Paul Eggert wrote:

I recall Paul wrote the C skeleton, and one reason for not supporting
compile as C++ is that he did not want to work with C++, in
addition to being complicated somehow.

Although I contributed to the C skeleton, I am not its original author;
I believe that honor (or dishonor) belongs to Robert Corbett.

I had only in mind the period when it was decided to not support the C skeleton compile as C++ option officially. Before that, compile as C++ was maintained for a period of time unofficially, I recall.

But you're right that I run screaming away whenever C++ is mentioned.
From my (admittedly distant) point of view, every time C++ comes up,
its standard seems to have mutated in some even-more-complex way.
I would prefer someone else to be the C++ expert here, just as I
prefer someone else to be expert in PHP, Cobol, and JCL.

So that was the reason to not support it: letting one focus on the language one is expert on.

  Hans