Re: filebench: bison generated parser + CDDL

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: filebench: bison generated parser + CDDL
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 08:25:43 +0200

Hi all,

Dropping CC is quite impolite, especially when it is to write about
the missing person.

Le 1 août 2012 à 09:59, Martin Steigerwald a écrit :

> Am Dienstag, 31. Juli 2012 schrieb Evan Lavelle:
>> You'll never get an answer from the FSF on licensing; they'll just send
>> you a form mail asking you for money. So, don't bother asking.
>
> I wonder how that does align with their mission (if its true what you write,
> don't know cause I have no previous experience)…

I don't know them, but I believe that Evan Lavelle's statements are
untrue.  They do charge companies that ask questions about proprietary
software, but the rest is free of charge.  There can be mistakes, of
course, if the context is not clearly established, which is not the
case here.

I have no idea why they have not answered yet, but pretending that
it's because of money is not right.  I would rather venture that their
backlog is large.

And again, when the exception was designed for Bison, the point was
to have people be able to use it in wider contexts than free software.
Using its generated parsers in proprietary software is fine.