Re: filebench: bison generated parser + CDDL

From: Evan Lavelle
Subject: Re: filebench: bison generated parser + CDDL
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 09:08:43 +0100

On 02/08/2012 07:25, Akim Demaille wrote:
Hi all,

Dropping CC is quite impolite, especially when it is to write about
the missing person.

Apologies if I missed out anyone. It seemed to me that most people were getting at least two copies of the email.

I don't know them, but I believe that Evan Lavelle's statements are
untrue.  They do charge companies that ask questions about proprietary
software, but the rest is free of charge.  There can be mistakes, of
course, if the context is not clearly established, which is not the
case here.

I've tried asking them to clarify a specific point in their licence, with context, in the past. They replied, stating that "I cannot advise you in developing non-free software". I replied, stating (among other things) that "I'm not asking you for advice on developing non-free software; I'm asking you for clarification on the terms of your licence". They didn't reply to my second mail. I've attached their only response below, dated 26th Feb 2008.

The GPL is complex, and GPL3 even more so. The onus must be on the licence writer to clarify the terms of their licence; if they don't so so, then they should at least answer emails requesting further clarification. I can only assume that address@hidden has not answered Martin's question, or he wouldn't be asking us. The problem here is that the GPL is so complex and opaque that the FSF must get literally thousands of queries on it. The internet is just littered with questions and misunderstandings on GPL.

As it happens, I don't think Martin's question is a complex one. I think he should just get on and do it. And, if he hasn't received a reply from address@hidden, he's probably covered anyway.

-Evan

Hello,

Please accept our apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We
rely on volunteer effort and often have difficulties keeping up with the
demand for our expertise.

I cannot advise you in developing non-free software. This service is
funded by donations to the Free Software Foundation for the purpose for
promoting the development of free software world-wide. Therefore, the
service is given gratis only to free software developers. Any other use
would be a misappropriation of said donations.

We do have an avenue for sharing our extensive free software licensing
expertise with proprietary software makers by paid consultation. If you
wish to hire our services in this regard, I'll happily send you the
payment information. Your payment will go on to further fund our work in
supporting free software development throughout the world.

--
I am not a lawyer, the above is not legal advice

   Regards, Yoni Rabkin