Re: Transitioning C parser to C++

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Re: Transitioning C parser to C++
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 09:29:41 -0800

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 8:58 PM Akim Demaille <akim@lrde.epita.fr> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> > Le 7 mars 2021 à 19:43, Dave Abrahams via Users list for the GNU Bison
> parser generator <help-bison@gnu.org> a écrit :
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been updating a C-based parser to use some of the more-typesafe C++
> > constructs, and run into several obstacles / things that were unclear.
>
> I was unaware you were still programming in C++ :)

You know, “what goes around comes around,” as they say.

> > If anyone's interested in updating the documentation, I can offer some
> > feedback about key points that would be useful to explain.
>
> It would certainly be interesting, thanks for the offer!  As a matter of
> fact, if you have feedback on the C++ output itself, I would very be very
> happy to improve it.

I don't think I'm at that point yet.  In fact I think it should be Bison's
goal to be easily used without examining the C++ output (other than maybe
the generated header), and I've been trying to do that.  The places where
that process has broken down for me account for many of the obstacles I've
run into.

I'll look over the things I've done and try to put together a list of
issues for you later today.