Re: Transitioning C parser to C++

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Transitioning C parser to C++
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 19:07:05 +0100

Hi Dave,

> Le 8 mars 2021 à 18:29, Dave Abrahams via Users list for the GNU Bison parser
> generator <help-bison@gnu.org> a écrit :
>
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 8:58 PM Akim Demaille <akim@lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
>
>> It would certainly be interesting, thanks for the offer!  As a matter of
>> fact, if you have feedback on the C++ output itself, I would very be very
>> happy to improve it.
>
> I don't think I'm at that point yet.  In fact I think it should be Bison's
> goal to be easily used without examining the C++ output (other than maybe
> the generated header), and I've been trying to do that.  The places where
> that process has broken down for me account for many of the obstacles I've
> run into.

We definitely need fresh eyes to spot what the documentation does not
state clearly.  Please note that there are also several examples that
ship with Bison (in examples/), and should be install together with the
documentation (typically /usr/local/share/doc/bison/examples/).
They are intended to be sources of inspiration and/or starting points.

> I'll look over the things I've done and try to put together a list of
> issues for you later today.

Thanks for this.