How to set friendly name for "$end"?

From: Szabolcs Horvát
Subject: How to set friendly name for "$end"?
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 11:12:49 +0200

Hello,

Error messages issued by Bison-generated parsers sometimes mention the
special token "$end", which is confusing to end users. Normal tokens
can be given a friendly names using

%token MYTOKEN "my token"

Is it possible to set a friendly name for $end as well?

Recent versions of Bison format $end as "end of file". I am looking
for a solution that works in older versions as well. Version 3.5 is a
must, versions 3.0 and 2.3 (which ships with macOS) are highly
preferable.

One solution that has been proposed to me (see
https://stackoverflow.com/q/72130611/695132) is to use

%token END 0 "end of file"

This does indeed work in all versions, including 2.3. But it is
unclear to me if it is safe. Is it guaranteed that $end corresponds to
0?

Thanks for any hints in advance,
Szabolcs