Re: HashCommentLinesMatching

From: Billy Allan
Subject: Re: HashCommentLinesMatching
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 08:21:46 +0100

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 02:17:21PM -0800, Akop Pogosian wrote:

<snip>

> Someone suggested in this thread to hash comment all lines first and
> then enable only some but I think that would end up editing the file
> every time cfengine runs. I'd prefer not to edit this file unless it
> needs to be edited. There is no really need to extend the regular
> expressions syntax to accommodate this functionality. We just need a
> few cfengine commands to negate the whole regular expression. That's
> why I suggested that we perhaps need a HashCommentLinesNotMatching
> keyword. To make this more general, it would be nice for if keyword
> that had "Matching" in it had a corresponding "NotMatching" equivalent
> or maybe some other way to do this.

I would agree... I've only been using cfengine for a short while, so I'm
still in the advantageous position of seeing it from a "newbie" point of
view.
I have no problem writing long ugly regex's when I need to, but for this
kind of application where we are trying to make things easy to maintain

I think extending cfengine's syntax with a couple of extra negated
options would be justified on grounds of clarity.

Billy.