import questions-- what do you use it for?

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: import questions-- what do you use it for?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:21:27 -0500

I'm attempting to use cfengine's import: feature to handle order of operations issues, and I am wondering if I am going against the grain here. All the (few) examples I can find use import: to simply break up the file, e.g. putting class definitions in a seperate file in order to keep the main conf file smaller.

I have a situation where I need to run a shell command, edit a file, then run another command-- all in the same cfengine run since outside processes write to the same file from time to time. (Don't worry about the peripheral locking issues.) I am approaching this by having my main cfagent.conf file run the first shell command (in the shellcommands: area), then import a nother file which looks like this:

--
control:
   actionsequence = ( editfiles shellcommands)

editfiles:
   # fix up file

shellcommands
   # run shell command
--

I am having a lot of wierdness in this, including some editfiles directives simply not working the way they should (and do in the top level file). As far as I can tell, nobody else is seeing this problem and I am wondering if I am simply Not Supposed To Be Doing This? Is having a file with (for instance) an editfiles: section import another file with an editfiles: section bad? Am I only supposed to be using these things for breaking up a conf?

thanks,

-Chip