cfagent works, but auth fails if run via cfexecd

From: Kurt Lieber
Subject: cfagent works, but auth fails if run via cfexecd
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:16:35 -0400

Using cfengine 2.0.8p1, I have an odd problem where cfagent, when run via
cfexecd, fails with the following error message (sent via email):

cfengine:clientmachine: Challenge response from server
www.myserver.com/192.168.1.1 was incorrect!
cfengine:clientmachine: Authentication dialogue with www.myserver.com failed

Sometimes, that message repeats twice in the email, other times it's just
once.  It does not appear to be consistent.  This same problem occurs
across multiple hosts.

If I run cfagent -v manually, using the same configuration files,
everything completes successfully with no mention of the word "fail"
anywhere in the output.

I'm stumped -- any clues?

--kurt