Re: another mysterious segfault

From: Mark Burgess
Subject: Re: another mysterious segfault
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:44:16 +0200

Speed has nothing to do with it. Cfengine was written in C bcause there
was no alternative when I started cfengine. But even a scripting
language will not help avoid a seg fault, if it is caused by a pathology
of the system. I know people have this irrational belief in perl as
language for everything, but you just can't do serious programming in
perl. It's too primitive as a language.

I don't know what is causing these segfaults in kickstart, but clearly
it must be something in that environment and not specifically cfengine
if it only occurs there. Cfengine does a lot of memory allocation
compared to other progams, so any bug will be easy to trip over.
My money is on th C library.