help-debbugs

Adding "attachments" to Debbugs

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Adding "attachments" to Debbugs
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 21:35:38 +0200

Hello!

Bob Proulx recently taught me a neat way to "attach" files to a report:

1. send attachments to nnn-quiet@debbugs.gnu.org,
2. (for large attachments, wait for moderation,)
3. go to https://debbugs.gnu.org/nnn and grab the URLs for the
   attachments,
4. send a followup mentioning these URLs to nnn@debbugs.gnu.org.

When compared to simply attaching files to one's messages, this ensures
(1) only large attachments get moderated: reports and patches keep
flowing freely (2) mail clients do not stall while browsing threads,
since messages sent to -quiet are not forwarded to the mailing list.
What's not to like?

Discovering this trick got me thinking: has anyone ever thought of an
"attachment" feature for Debbugs?  Something along the lines of:

- send some attachments to nnn-attach@debbugs.gnu.org,
- Debbugs then sends a mail to nnn@debbugs.gnu.org saying:

> John Doe <jdoe@gnu.org> attached:
> config.log (150 kB)
> <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=nnn;filename=config.log…>
> repro.sh   (400  B)
> <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=nnn;filename=repro.sh…>

Bob suggested posting this idea here; does this sound like an
interesting feature?

I've never looked into hacking Debbugs, so I have no idea how hard that
might be to implement.  I don't mind taking a stab at it (that looks
like a good opportunity to learn about the BTS), but realistically
speaking I don't expect to find the time anytime soon, so if someone
reading this thinks it's trivial to implement, I wouldn't want to hold
them back ;)