[h-e-w] Re: dired Z (gunzip) command

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: dired Z (gunzip) command
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:50:37 -0000

From: "Richard M. Heiberger" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 8:46 AM
Subject: file ownership in NTemacs

> I can gunzip gzipped files belonging to Owner from dired by entering
>     X gunzip -N
> (The more obvious Z isn't working, I don't know why.  Z does gzip files.)

If you are using Cygwin gunzip then you will probably find that it is an
old-style Cygwin symlink to gzip, which NTEmacs cannot execute.  An easy
solution is to delete gunzip and then make a hard link from gzip to gunzip
(or a copy if not using NTFS).  In fact, I think the command

ln -f gzip gunzip

in a Cygwin shell with the appropriate directory current will do everything
that is required automatically.  This probably also applies to a few other
Cygwin commands that are really the same executable with different names.
It probably should be in a FAQ somewhere -- hint to FAQ maintainers!

Francis