Re: [h-e-w] RF help using sort-numeric-fields

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] RF help using sort-numeric-fields
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:38:53 -0600

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 12:29:24PM +0100, Neil Mackie wrote:
> I'm trying to run the function
>     sort-numeric-fields
> which the documentation says takes three arguments,
>     the field to sort,
>     the beginning of the region to sort and
>     the end of the region to sort.
> I'm entering
>     M-x sort-numeric-fields and <return>
> expecting to be prompted for the arguments but the function is run as
> soon as I enter <return>. I have tried entering arguments after
>     M-x sort-numeric-fields
> but only <return> is accepted. So I'm unable to tell the function which
> fields I wish to sort on.
>
> I'm doing something wrong but do not know what. Can anyone enlighten
> me?

I'll leave your enlightenment to a higher authority, but make some
suggestions on using the sorting function.

The parameter information is for programmers. To use a function from
the keyboard, do things a bit differently.

First mark the region you want to sort as you normally would mark a
region for any other purpose (killing, e.g.). The region should form
a rectangle, e.g. upper left and lower right limits.

To enter the field number, C-U, enter the field number of the field
you want to sort on. Posative number to coult from the left, negative
to count from the right.

Then M-X sort-numeric-fields.

Try sorting this on field 2:

aaaa 1234 ggggg