Re: [h-e-w] Re: sending filenames from command-line

From: rob . davenport
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: sending filenames from command-line
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:43:48 -0400

Thanks for that explanation, Guy.  It doesn't sound too fun
to contemplate working on.  I'm not all that familiar with
sockets, but assuming they work relatively similar you're
still probably talking a lot of cluttering #ifdefs in the
code - both emacs and emacsclient.

(And Jason, I'd missed seeing the -eval flag in emacsclient
and thought it only dealt with sending files whereas gnuclient
could send lisp expressions to evaluate, but emacsclient
does do that. And it has the moderately cool "alternate
editor" flag.)

But, now that I've got the newer tcp/ip gnuclient working with
the CVS 23.0.0.1 ntemacs build, I'm happy.  I work with
software all day so the fact that gnuclient isn't an official
part of Emacs and needs installed separately doesn't bother me
(though projects like Lennart's EmacsW32 make that pain even
less I think).  So if the big problems are that gnuclient's
not officially part of Emacs and hard to get it so, and
emacsclient won't work without a fair amount of effort, I'm
guessing there's not a lot of "pull" to make Windows developers
want to make emacsclient work, and I suspect Windows isn't a
really important OS target for Emacs developers so there's not
a lot of "push" to make them want it done either.

Lennart, you mentioned a windows-port list - is that another
email list for developers working on a new port or just
maintaining and extending the current Windows-code in Emacs?

Rob