Re: [h-e-w] msys and locate problem with eshell

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] msys and locate problem with eshell
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:34:08 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
Ryan Krauss wrote:
I am using msys as my shell for eshell. I am getting the following warning:
Warning (w32shell): When using 'msys' program 'locate' can't be found

There is a locate.exe in the folder C:\Program
Files\Emacs\EmacsW32\gnuwin32\bin which is in my windows path.  But
apparently this is not enough.  I don't have a locate.exe in the mysys
folder.  What do I do to fix this?

I am not very familiar with eshell and I did not cover its use in EmacsW32. eshell and MSYS are two very different things.

eshell is an emulation of a unix style shell and some unix style programs.

MSYS contains a port of GNU Bash and some other GNU unix style programs to MS Windows. You can run MSYS bash as a program in an Emacs buffer. You then communicate with that program through Emacs (and it is called an "inferior" program for this reason in Emacs).

In EmacsW32 I have tried to make it a bit easier to run MSYS or Cygwin as inferior shells. You can start such shells from the menus

   Tools - W32 Shells - MSYS Shell

Can you tell me exactly what you were doing?

For the record: We cleared this out in a private conversation. If you use the command above from the menu then this will add the path to gnuwin32 binaries that comes with EmacsW32. If you do it another way you have to add them yourself.