Re: [h-e-w] UK date format in Dired

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] UK date format in Dired
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:08:23 +0200

> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:04:05 +0000
> From: "Graham Smith" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> More the "port of GNU"  What is gnu?

I couldn't imagine that someone who uses GNU Emacs doesn't know what
is GNU.  Sorry.

> For example on the gnuwin32 web site ls.exe isn't listed as a
> downloadable package, so how do I get it.

You should get the Coreutils package.  Sorry, I was under an
impression you already had ls.exe, since you replied on gnu.emacs.help
to someone who suggested to get it.

> And the "disable ls-lisp" I don't know how to do this.

This part was actually described in my mail:

> > then disable ls-lisp and use the ported ls as follows:
> >
> >  . Set ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program to t:
> >
> >        (setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program t)

The "as follows" part was supposed to tell that what follows shows how
to disable ls-lisp.

> It is maybe difficult to appreciate just how alien all of this is to someone
> who has been using Windows for 20+ years and has no experience of
> programming.

I thought that detailed instructions could overcome that.  Obviously,
my instructions were not detailed enough.

> So while it may seem unappreciative of your help to give up at this stage,

I didn't perceive that as unappreciative.  I'm a little frustrated by
my evident inability to help you efficiently, but that's all.

> It is just adding to an
> enormous amount of learning that I am having to do to get Emacs working, and
> I seem to have spent a disproportionate amount of time on "simple" things,
> which turn out to be very complicated for "me", rather than learning how to
> use Emacs for real work.
>
> For example, before posting this question I had already spent hours
> searching the help and browsing the web to try and find an answer on my own,
> and then I added the time spent trying out the suggestions offered here and
> across in the emacs forum.

But that effort is to be expected, I think, when you are trying to
modify the default way of displaying dates and times.  What Windows
program lets you even do that, let alone do it ``easily''?

Anyway, if setting a single option via Customize is easy enough, the
next binary release should let you do that.