[h-e-w] EmacsW32: Emacsw32_080512 + TRAMP + max-lisp-eval-depth error

From: Ingersoll, Nelson
Subject: [h-e-w] EmacsW32: Emacsw32_080512 + TRAMP + max-lisp-eval-depth error
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 14:00:19 -0600

Hi,

   I've been trying to test the EmacsW32 releases of 080512 (patched) and
080507 (unpatched).  However, I am being stymied by a problem.  It might be a
bug in TRAMP though I'm not sure.

   Please examine this trace from the *Messages* buffer:

Opening FTP connection to XXXX.com...done
Logging in as user address@hidden
Getting PWD...done
Doing CD...done
Listing /address@hidden:/home/ingersol/temp/...done
byte-code: Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'

The default TRAMP method was set to FTP and then gutted with

                  (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")
                        (tramp-unload-tramp)

The file open command was:

                  /address@hidden:temp/a.lis

I press <RETURN> and am presented with the error

        Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'

   I have tried this under the following conditions and in all 4 cases
the results are the same.  I get the error "byte-code: Lisp nesting
exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'" and no file load.

1. With and without init.el/.emacs using the version of Emacs in

        Emacs-23-CvsP080512-EmacsW32-1.58.exe

2. With and without init.el/.emacs using the version of Emacs in

        Emacs-23-CvsU080507-EmacsW32-1.57.exe

   Am I doing something wrong?  This is not a system specific problem.
The listing above is simply a UNIX box.  It fails on other *nix systems
as well as OpenVMS.  This exact sequence works flawlessly with the
EmacsW32 in Emacs-22-CvsP070523-EmacsW32-1.54.exe.  It also works
with the EmacsW32 code applied to GNU Emacs 22.2.  I do not use the non-FTP
methods of TRAMP since I must always be able to get to OpenVMS systems.

Regards,

- Nelson