Re: [h-e-w] Antialiased fonts in emacs 23.2 for windows

From: Damyan Pepper
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Antialiased fonts in emacs 23.2 for windows
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:56:53 +0100

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
> Damyan Pepper <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> If I do the following in emacs 23.1:
>>
>> (set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans Mono-9.0:antialias=subpixel")
>
> Why do you need the :antialias=subpixel bit? Is antialiasing turned off
> globally in Windows? Normally Emacs will just use the default
> antialiasing setting for the system.

Thanks also to Drew for his reply - I've double checked my settings
and I've got mine set to use cleartype already.

I was playing with the setting after reading the "Windows Fonts" info
page to try out the various settings.  I found that I could get good
results by changing the antialias setting.

There's a definite difference between 23.1 and 23.2's behaviour; I've
tried this on two different machines now - one 64-bit WinXP and one
32-bit WinXP.

The builds of are both from binaries obtained from ftp.gnu.org, with
the following version strings:

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-30 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/xpm/include'

Is it significant the 23.2 has been configured with an old version of
gcc and --no-opt?

>> However, doing the same thing in emacs 23.2 gives the full name as
>> "DejaVu Sans Mono-9.0" and the font looks nasty and chunky.
>
> No idea what is going on here. Nothing has changed in the Windows font
> code as far as I know between 23.1 and 23.2.

Fair enough.  I think I'll have a go at building from source myself to
see what I can find.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Damyan.