help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] Usage of gengetopt

From: J. David Bryan
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] Usage of gengetopt
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 18:51:53 -0400

Lorenzo,

On Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 11:05, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

> David, do you have some documentation for compilation under windows that
> I might add to the gengetopt documentation?

Using the MinGW/MSYS environment on Windows, installation is the same as is
listed in the manual:

  cd <source code main directory>
  ./configure
  make
  make install

The only suggestion I would add would be to use:

  make LDFLAGS="-s -all-static"

...instead, so that the resulting executable is (a) stripped of debugging
symbols, and (b) self-contained.  Without "-s", about 5 MB of debugging
symbols are added, and without "-all-static", the executable uses the
shared (DLL) versions of the gcc and g++ libraries.  These dependencies may
or may not be desirable, depending on the user's preference.

To set up the MinGW/MSYS environment, one would go to:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/

...and download "mingw-get-inst-<date>.exe" (the installer).  Then one
would run this program and select the following components to install:

 - C compiler (this is selected by default)
 - C++ compiler
 - MSYS basic system

After installation is complete, selecting the "MinGW Shell" on the Windows
start menu runs bash, and then the generic installation instructions above
may be followed.

                                      -- Dave