help-gift

[help-GIFT] Re: [bug-GIFT] I think your program has a bug ....

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: [help-GIFT] Re: [bug-GIFT] I think your program has a bug ....
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:47:27 +0100 (CET)

Hi, Wolfgang,

thank you very much for your fast and helpful reply. Trying to run the
script on an updated CVS checkout last evening (before you annonced major
changes, I think), I got an error message "bootstrap failed". There was a
file "configure" afterwards, but it ran into trouble as well and did not
create any makefiles. I am attaching the output since I have no experience
with auto-tools.

Concerning the gcc-3 compiler, I installed gcc-3.0.3 and could try to
build gift with it, but I will be too busy during the upcoming ten days or
so.

Best regards,

Andreas

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Wolfgang Müller wrote:
> Hi, Andreas, howz your gcc3? Maybe I'll have a try this evening...
> What has happened there is fairly standard, and has been written in
> changelog, but not in readme (sorry) and not in this list (more sorry):
>
> As automake/autoconf/libtool is in movement, and you can get trouble when the
> aclocal.m4 does not fit the automake/autoconf installed (these were probably
> David's install troubles lately, where I kept telling him, "if you have a
> autoconf installed...", but he *had* one installed). So I hope to avoid
> future install problems by doing what most packages that are on CVS do:
>
> I remove all files that are generated by running aclocal, automake and
> autoconf and I create a script that runs these script.
>
> The script in question is bootstrap-cvs.sh. Do
> sh ./bootstrap-cvs.sh
> to obtain a  configure.
>
> Thanks for the question, and bonne année to Paris and all list readers,
> Cheers,
> Wolfgang

This script generates a configure script for the GIFT
Use this if you have checked out the GIFT from CVS
This script will be using the following GNU tools:
---------------------------------------
automake (GNU automake) 1.4 Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
Autoconf version 2.13
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.3.5 (1.385.2.206 2000/05/27 11:12:27)
---------------------------------------
running aclocal
...done
running automake -a
automake: configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
automake: configure.in: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
automake: configure.in: installing `./missing'
automake: configure.in: installing `./config.sub'
libMRML/cc/Makefile.am:28: library used but `LIBTOOL' not defined in
`configure.in'
bootstrap failed, because automake failed. exiting. , exit 101
...done
running autoconf
configure.in:117: warning: Cannot check for file existence when cross compiling
configure.in:122: warning: Cannot check for file existence when cross compiling
configure.in:126: warning: Cannot check for file existence when cross compiling
configure.in:131: warning: Cannot check for file existence when cross compiling
configure.in:235: warning: Cannot check for file existence when cross compiling
configure.in:359: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
...done
Now you should be able to run ./configure

creating cache ./config.cache
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for working const... yes
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking for executable suffix... no
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... g++
checking whether the C++ compiler (g++  ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (g++  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
./ltconfig: ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed