help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] auto-tools and gcc-3.0.3

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] auto-tools and gcc-3.0.3
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 15:27:55 +0100

Dear Andreas,
> thank you for your helpful suggestions. Just updating to moderately newer
My pleasure.
> versions did indeed solve the configuration problem. I replaced some
> packages of Mandrake 8.0 with those from 8.1, so that I now have the
> following versions:
> automake-1.4-20.p5.mdk
> autoconf-2.13.9mdk
> libtool-1.4-6mdk
> In particular, it was not necessary to update to autoconf-2.52.

This good news. Thanks a lot. Tomasz also posted that it compiles. He has:
Distro   : Red Hat Linux 7.2
Kernal   : 2.4.7-10
g++      : 2.95.3
automake : 1.5
autoconf : 2.52
libtool  : 1.4.2

Thanks to both of you!

> Concerning gcc-3.0.3, however, the string problems persist even with
> this newest bugfix release.

I tried to install a very fresh gcc, and I had some surprising result:

#include <string>
#include <iostream>

main(){
  string x("hello");
  cout << x << endl << x+x << endl;
}

Fails miserably to compile:

string.cc: In function `int main()':
string.cc:5: `string' undeclared (first use this function)
string.cc:5: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
   function it appears in.)
string.cc:5: parse error before `(' token
string.cc:6: `cout' undeclared (first use this function)
string.cc:6: `x' undeclared (first use this function)
string.cc:6: `endl' undeclared (first use this function)

It is clear, that this *must* be some installation error of mine, but this is
just to say that installing gcc-3.0.3 does not seem to be dead simple even
for people with installation experience like you and me. I guess we will have
to send out some mail to help-gcc or something liket that.

Cheers,
Wolfgang