[Help-glpk] Re: producing PDF documentation

From: Stephan Hennig
Subject: [Help-glpk] Re: producing PDF documentation
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:08:10 +0100

[posted through Gmane, CC Andrew, Nigel, Robbie]

Andrew Makhorin schrieb:
>>> PS: What about replacing glpk.ps by glpk.pdf, given that
>
> Glpk documentation (like documentation of other GNU packages) is neither
> .ps nor in .pdf format. It is plain text files in TeX-based format. This
> is recommended by the GNU Coding Standards; see:
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#GNU-Manuals

Thank you for the reference.

> .Dvi and .ps versions of the glpk documentation are included in the
> distribution only for the sake of convenience. Normally, as it is made
> in most GNU packages, documentation is produced on building the package
> with 'make doc'. However, sometimes it is problematic, because requires
> the TeX system to be installed, and until recently such feature was
> unavailable, for example, for cygwin users.

Well, I didn't meant to remove TeX sources.  I just find PDF
documentation more convenient than PS or even DVI files.  So why not
keep TeX sources in place, but offer a compiled PDF manual instead of
the PS variant?

At least the DVI file could be removed, since whoever cannot compile TeX
sources to DVI is likely unable to display DVI files as well, since that
format has no resources (fonts) embedded.  On the other hand, whoever is
able to view DVI files should be able to generate it from source.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig