Re: [Help-glpk] Gusek : a GLPK IDE for Windows

From: Luiz M. M. Bettoni
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Gusek : a GLPK IDE for Windows
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 20:35:41 -0300

Hi, Andrew.

> Gusek looks very nice.
Thanks!
> It seems to me that the following improvements would be reasonable.
>
> 1. There are too many editor's widgets, which are rarely used.
> Probably they should be hidden.

I like to preserve some of SciTE base.. It will be more convenient to SciTE users, and probably make a future port for Linux more easy (SciTE has a Linux release).
But it's looks like a good idea. I'll remove some language support in next version and focus GLPK useful languages.
And so, the widgets looks familiar to me because I'm a SciTE user... If you like hide more of then after next release you can point the changes, ok?

> 2. The solver output is written to a file and only then is displayed.
>  If the solution time is long, this causes a "dead screen" effect.
> Why not to use a pipe? Another, better way is to call glp_main (it is
>  the api routine that implements glpsol) and redirect the terminal
> output to the output window with glp_term_hook.

It's a problem...
The Gusek/SciTE editor calls glpsol with parameters, just like any external exe, an redirects the output to the panel.
All others programs called by Gusek/SciTE (MinGW GCC, for example) generates outputs in real time, but the glpsol.exe do not. It takes a long time to generate partial outputs (like 10 minutes).
The BC5.5 glpsol build (from http://zwb2.narod.ru/OR/glpk-4_33_Win32_executables.zip - thanks Vasily) can make outputs with minor delays (like 2 seconds), but i don't know why.

I'm not exactly a "C/C++" programmer, probably make SciTE/Gusek call a dll it's more than i'm able to do now.
And do it will change much of SciTE base, not the intent (almost for now). The simple call of external exe preserve it simple.

> 3. I think that gusek should also support files in mps and,
> especially, in cplex lp formats, not only mathprog files.

Ok, i'll do this. Actually you can "run" the mps and lp files, but the syntax lexer has some problems.
Build a mps from a lp may be useful too, right?

Thanks for the reply!
Luiz Bettoni