Re: [Help-glpk] Linear Programming Relaxation

From: RC Loh
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Linear Programming Relaxation
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 00:00:05 +0800 (SGT)

Hi Andrew, Michael, Jeffrey, Ali,

Thank you very much for all your information and advice.

So from what I gathered from all of you are that:

1) An Integer program can be solved using Interior Point method too. Not necessary solving an Integer program using Simplex method.

2) Simplex method under certain conditions also runs in polynomial time.

Some of the terms used by Michael confused me. Sorry that I am very new to this area. So I am not familiar with most of the terms.

What is convex and non-convex?
What is global optimum and local optimum?

Can you give me examples of global optimum, local optimum, convex and non-convex?

Hi Ali,
To answer your question, yes, I faced computational time problem when I have 2000 binary structural variables using Simplex method. It took more than 4 hours and still I could not obtain a result. So I terminated the execution pre-maturely.

I gathered that using Simplex method does not work for me because I have more than 300 similar problems to be solved.

Rdgs,
Paul