Re: [Help-glpk] Linear Programming Relaxation

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Linear Programming Relaxation
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 23:58:35 +0300

> Some of the terms used by Michael confused me. Sorry that I am very
> new to this area. So I am not familiar with most of the terms.
> What is convex and non-convex?
> What is global optimum and local optimum?
> Can you give me examples of global optimum, local optimum, convex and
> non-convex?

If you are really interested in this area of mathematics, the following
textbooks may be helpful for you:

G.B.Dantzig, M.N.Thapa, "Linear programming" (v.1 and 2).

L.A.Wolsey, "Integer Programming".

L.A.Wolsey, G.L.Nemhauser, "Integer and Combinatorial Optimization".

R.G.Parker, R.L.Rardin, "Discrete Optimization".