RE: [Help-glpk] extremely difficult sudoku puzzle

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: RE: [Help-glpk] extremely difficult sudoku puzzle
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 10:46:49 -0500

I believe the most people use the "Dancing Links" algorithm that Donald Knuth
publicized (he didn't claim he invented it, rather he made it better known and
showed how to solve exact-cover problems with it).  The algorithm is basically
an exhaustive search algorithm using clever linked-list structures that works
very quickly for Sudoku.

See, for example, http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~xche635/dlx_sodoku/

I first learned about it from:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/dumbledor/Sudoku11202005164648PM/Sudoku.aspx

In the above article, the author shows how generate Sudoku that are guaranteed
to have exactly one solution.

A quick search shows that many other sudoku solvers and creation engines use
the Dancing Links algorithm.