Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK shutdown

From: glpk xypron
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK shutdown
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 23:09:22 +0100

Hello Kasper,

I ran your files through glpsol.exe on a 32bit Windows machine
with 4 GB RAM.

I got the following error output:
glp_malloc: no memory available
Error detected in file ..\src\glpenv05.c at line 70

When using Java with default heap size of 16 MB I got the
following output:

Problem created
Reading model section from Masters.mod...
123 lines were read
Reading data section from Masters.dat...
32194 lines were read
Generating obj...
Generating powerSupply...
Generating powerAvail...
glp_malloc: no memory available
Error detected in file ..\src\glpenv05.c at line 70
Exception in thread "main" org.gnu.glpk.GlpkException: function
glp_mpl_generate failed
        at org.gnu.glpk.GLPKJNI.glp_mpl_generate(Native Method)
        at org.gnu.glpk.GLPK.glp_mpl_generate(GLPK.java:657)
        at Gmpl.solve(Gmpl.java:52)
        at Gmpl.main(Gmpl.java:12)

The Windows task manager showed a memory consumption exceeding
1.5 GB.

Hence Java heap is not the cause of your trouble but the size
of your problem.

You could try using a 64bit system, but I doubt that a problem with
over 5 Million binaries will be solved by brute force with any
MIP solver. It is not  only the number of variables that renders
your problem hard to solve but also the high amount of
symmetry.

Best regards

Xypron

-------- Original-Nachricht --------