Re: [Help-glpk] glpk 4.48 release information

From: Orion Poplawski
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] glpk 4.48 release information
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 22:28:16 +0000 (UTC)

Andrew Makhorin <mao <at> gnu.org> writes:
> I followed instructions given in the manual
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#Updating-version-info
>
> which says:
>
> 1. Start with version information of ‘0:0:0’ for each libtool library.
> 2. Update the version information only immediately before a public
> release of your software. More frequent updates are unnecessary, and
> only guarantee that the current interface number gets larger faster.
> 3. If the library source code has changed at all since the last update,
> then increment revision (‘c:r:a’ becomes ‘c:r+1:a’).
> 4. If any interfaces have been added, removed, or changed since the last
> update, increment current, and set revision to 0.
> 5. If any interfaces have been added since the last public release, then
> increment age.
> 6. If any interfaces have been removed or changed since the last public
> release, then set age to 0.
>
> According to these rules 32:0:32 becomes 33:0:0, because some api
> routines were changed/removed. Or I did something wrong?

Doesn't look like it to me.  Although it looks like some ABI bumps in the past
were missed too:

http://upstream-tracker.org/versions/glpk.html

and so might not have resulted in such a big jump this time.

The thing that was missed was a big, fat, warning in the release notes that the
ABI (soname) was changing.  Usually such things are accompanied by a major
version bump (not just 4.47 -> 4.48) as they are a *big deal* and require all
software using the library to be recompiled against the new version.

Orion Poplawski