Re: [Help-glpk] glpk 4.48 release information

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] glpk 4.48 release information
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 00:17:55 +0100

On 2/4/2013 11:28 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
Andrew Makhorin <mao <at> gnu.org> writes:
I followed instructions given in the manual

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#Updating-version-info

which says:

1. Start with version information of ‘0:0:0’ for each libtool library.
2. Update the version information only immediately before a public
release of your software. More frequent updates are unnecessary, and
only guarantee that the current interface number gets larger faster.
3. If the library source code has changed at all since the last update,
then increment revision (‘c:r:a’ becomes ‘c:r+1:a’).
4. If any interfaces have been added, removed, or changed since the last
update, increment current, and set revision to 0.
5. If any interfaces have been added since the last public release, then
increment age.
6. If any interfaces have been removed or changed since the last public
release, then set age to 0.

According to these rules 32:0:32 becomes 33:0:0, because some api
routines were changed/removed. Or I did something wrong?

Not wrong, so we stuck with the change
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2013-02/msg00019.html

and we moved from cygglpk-0.dll to cygglpk-33.dll

Doesn't look like it to me.  Although it looks like some ABI bumps in the past
were missed too:

http://upstream-tracker.org/versions/glpk.html

and so might not have resulted in such a big jump this time.

The thing that was missed was a big, fat, warning in the release notes that the
ABI (soname) was changing.  Usually such things are accompanied by a major
version bump (not just 4.47 -> 4.48) as they are a *big deal* and require all
software using the library to be recompiled against the new version.

I agree

Orion Poplawski

Marco