RE: [Fwd: Discussion on GLPK]

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Discussion on GLPK]
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:37:32 +0000

Hello Mingyue,

Typically when I see that many coefficients, it suggests that you need to reformulate your problem.

One example.  Suppose that X1, X2, X3, …, X20 are non-negative integers, and you have equations like X1 <= b1, X1 + X2 <= b2, X1 + X2 + X3 <= b3, …, X1 + X2 + X3 + … + X20 <= b20.  That has 20*(20+1)/2 = 210 coefficients

A reformulation would be to introduce variables Y1, Y2, Y3, …, Y20, then you could write Y1 = X1, Y2 = Y1 + X2, Y3 = Y2 + X3, … , Y20 = Y19 + X20, and have the Y’s have upper bounds: Y1 <= b1, Y2 <=  b2.  That’s 59 coefficients.

-Marc