Re: Need "usertool" target for make

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: Need "usertool" target for make
Date: 17 Jun 2001 14:35:48 +0200

    YS> I am unable to find anything resembling the targets "usertools"
    YS> and "install-usertools" outlined above in the current master
    YS> Makefile, but I don't think adding this would be a lot of
    YS> work. However, I am not sufficiently experienced with makefiles
    YS> to do this myself.

    YS> An alternative would be to add a --tools-only option to
    YS> configure. I don't know what solution would be the best, but we
    YS> really need to have a way to install the user tools on client
    YS> machines before GNATS 4 can be said to be complete.

There used to be the configure option `--with-full-gnats' but that was
removed.  However, gnats/Makefile.in still contains the *-gnats and
*-tools targets serving exactly that purpose.  They only don't seem to
be propagated to the top-level Makefile.

BTW, the top-level Makefile looks like a horrible mess.  It's three
times larger than the Emacs one and it seems to be more general than
needed, I don't like it.  Unless anyone objects, I'll clean it up,
together with moving the documentation to a separate directory.

Milan Zamazal

--
Wasting somebody else's time strikes me as the height of rudeness.
                                                      Bill Gates