Re: New feature: Encrypted gnatsd passwords

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: New feature: Encrypted gnatsd passwords
Date: 17 Jun 2001 14:13:57 +0200

    YS> By removing a couple of ifs in gnatsd.c, I got things working on
    YS> Solaris with DES-encrypted passwords in gnatsd.access. This
    YS> leads me to ask the following question: Should we implement
    YS> support for DES-encrypted passwords? This should be very easy,
    YS> except for one thing -- we need a way to distinguish DES hashes
    YS> in gnatsd.access from plaintext passwords.

AFAIK there is no standard way to do this.  However, the code already
contains a check for `$0$' as the plain text password prefix, so I'd
suggest to simply document and use it and let the default password
format be the DES-encrypted.

However that is not much elegant and it would require to convert already
existing password files.  So it might be better to add a new dbconfig
option for this, but that would be more work and require having a global
configuration file (AFAIK there's none now).

Milan Zamazal

--
If we are going to start removing packages because of the quality of the
software, wonderful.  I move to remove all traces of the travesty of editors,